Friday, October 11, 2013

The Secret Zoo - Bryan Chick

Summary:  When three friends link a girl's disappearance to unusual activity at their local zoo, they discover that each exhibit holds a hidden passage to a secret zoo kingdom. To rescue their friend, the children must band with the animals, enter this mysterious world, and embark on an exciting adventure in the first book of an epic series for middle-grade readers. (Image and summary taken from goodreads.com)

My Review:  Megan swears she saw monkeys running across the elementary school roof.  Suddenly, she’s filling a journal … until she disappears.  Her friends, the Action Scouts, are devastated and are bound and determined to figure out what happened to their friend.

I was recommended this book for my son, and wanted to preview it to see if it was okay for him.  Chick assumes his readers are intelligent and adventurous, and he has created a world I know I’d like to step into.  The initial mystery may have been solved, but not without opening another can of worms or two.   There were times I was a little annoyed that the story was a little juvenile – but then I had to remember that this was a children’s book.  A thirty-something mom isn’t exactly the target audience.

This is a book that would be perfect for animal lovers that are either high-level readers in Third grade or Fourth grade and up.

I look forward to reading the second book in this series!

My rating: Four stars


For the sensitive reader:  There are two battles that may get really intense for children.  There are also mythical creatures wreaking havoc.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails