Friday, February 7, 2014

So You Want to be President? - Judith St. George & David Small

Summary:  This new version of the Caldecott-winning classic by illustrator David Small and author Judith St. George is updated with current facts and new illustrations to include our forty-second president, George W. Bush. There are now three Georges in the catalog of presidential names, a Bush alongside the presidential family tree, and a new face on the endpaper portraiture.

Hilariously illustrated by Small, this celebration by St. George shows us the foibles, quirks and humanity of forty-two men who have risen to one of the most powerful positions in the world. (Image and summary from goodreads.com)

My Review:  My son loves history.  He had a wonderful kindergarten teacher who fueled this love, and helped develop his love of presidential history in particular.  Although he's no longer in kindergarten, it's remained one of his interests, and this book was an amazing book both for him and me!

Judith St. George has done an amazing job weaving together a wonderful compilation of facts and tidbits from each president, all while  crafting a good road map for ambitious children.  Goals like being honest, working hard, and that it may help if you're left handed are all presented.  The author also talk about what professions presidents have occupied - did you know we've elected a butcher?  A men's shop owner?  Fascinating!

I was a little skeptical when I first checked this book out with my son.  So many presidential "biographical" books are politically charged, and I am of the mind that children should be unswayed about such matters.  I was so pleasantly surprised!  Facts were presented as amazing information, and without a slant.  I loved the historical tilt, but I really appreciated how St. George humanized these leaders.

My Rating:  Five Stars

For the sensitive reader:  Squeaky clean!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails