Wednesday, June 18, 2014

22 Books You Should Read Now Based On Your Childhood Favorites



I don't know about you, but there are many books that I read when I was a kid that when I go back, they're just not what I remember. Sometimes this is good, sometimes this is bad. For instance--I remember loving Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time. It really inspired me. I couldn't necessarily remember what it was about, but I would tell everyone I loved it. Just a few years ago I read it again and, I have to be honest here, it was okay. In fact, I'd say it was a little confusing. I'll be the first to admit that my favorite genre is not sci-fi, but seriously? What the heck was going on? And it's all about love? All this weird stuff happens and it's about love? I dunno ya'll. I think I missed something.

So you can see what I'm saying. My tastes may have changed over the years.

On the other hand, I also remember reading and loving The Giver. A few years ago in preparation for Lois Lowry's release of Son I went to hear her speak at my local library. She was incredible and I reread the entire series and loved it, probably even more than I did when I was a kid.


Here's the great thing about books—they're there for you when you need them. At different times in your life you get different things out of the same book. Your life experiences color what you read. So this summer, you should check out not only some fun books from your past, but also maybe find some possible new favorites.  Here is a fun list to help get you started. 

22 Books You Should Read Now Based On Your Childhood Favorites

3 comments:

Jillian said...

I think that's why I like rereading and going back to old favorites because like you said, we are all different people when we pick up the same book again. I think it's really cool that we also discover something new when we reread!

Meredith said...

I totally agree. Some books I read as a kid and loved it. As an adult a bit confused. Others tried to read when I was younger and couldn't get through it, now they are my favourite. Times and seasons in life and in reading. Reading and rereading gives your brain a treasure trove of new ideas all dependent on where you currently are in life. It is magic.

Ashleey Rayback said...

Yes! And I am always so surprised how I feel differently about the characters or plot, or maybe realize it wasn't what I thought it was in the first place.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails