Friday, June 20, 2014

Goodnight June - Sarah Jio

Summary: Goodnight Moon is an adored childhood classic, but its real origins are lost to history. In Goodnight June, Sarah Jio offers a suspenseful and heartfelt take on how the "great green room" might have come to be.

June Andersen is professionally successful, but her personal life is marred by unhappiness. Unexpectedly, she is called to settle her great-aunt Ruby’s estate and determine the fate of Bluebird Books, the children’s bookstore Ruby founded in the 1940s. Amidst the store’s papers, June stumbles upon letters between her great-aunt and the late Margaret Wise Brown—and steps into the pages of American literature. (Picture and description from goodreads.com)


My Review: I’m one of those people who likes to tell other people (especially women, because I am crabby like that) that I don't really like, or even read chic lit. I’m way too cool for that.

Apparently not.

To be honest, I’ve actually enjoyed many chic lit books I've read (though admittedly, I don't live on a diet of pure chic lit; I do try to keep it to a minimum). Happily, this one is no exception.  You will notice that I carefully scheduled this book review in June. It's a great summer read (and I enjoyed the fun June/June thing cause I'm a cheeseball despite my best efforts).

First off, I think the premise is super cute. A bookstore in dire need of saving and a deep secret with the potential to change everything? Cute. I liked it. It totally reminded me of "You've Got Mail," and I couldn't help thinking of Meg Ryan raising her hands triumphantly after saying "Can we save the Shop Around the Corner!?" This book wasn't a rip-off of that (although if you liked the movie, you should certainly read this), but it did evoke similar emotions. You want the bookstore to survive, you want the boy and girl to get together, you want the insurmountable odds to be beaten, and in the end…well. You'll just have to read it.

The book has a nice voice to it. No one is overly evil or mean (and indeed, even the "bad guys" are not really bad guys), and I liked that. I get tired of reading books where there's one angelic person and the rest are obviously trying to tear them down in heartless and evil ways. This is about (real-ish) people trying to do (real-ish) things.

As with many books in chic lit, there were some incredible cameos (hello, Bill Gates!) that make it a little bit cheesy, but it's not like it's so over the top that you want to gag and put the book down and then continue your rah-rah campaign of why you hate chic lit. It's enough glam to make it fun while still being palatable.

If you are a lover of the classic Goodnight Moon, then you should certainly read this book. If you are a lover of chic lit, you should certainly read this book. If you're looking for a fast, fun read with good characters, this is for you. It's perfect for summer reading as its light and fun (though not necessarily too fluffy) with some good twists and turns.

My rating: 4 stars

For the sensitive reader: There is a little bit of light language.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails