Wednesday, June 25, 2014

When I Grow Up I Want to Be ... A Firefighter! - Wigu Publishing

Summary:  Will was excited to go on his class field trip, until he learned they would be touring the local firehouse. Now, he is dreading the trip. For as long as he can remember, Will has been afraid of fire and, worse than that, firefighters! Though he knows firefighters are heroes who do dangerous work, to him they are giants in heavy coats and masks. As he journeys with his class through the fire station, Will and readers alike are introduced to the exciting world of firefighting. Can Will overcome his fears and maybe even learn something surprising about himself?  (Image and summary from goodreads.com.  I was given a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.)

My Review:  Firefighters are awesome.  I've never met one who wasn't excited to talk to my kids and tell them what they do, and when we lived around the corner from the fire station, they would share recipes when we ran into them in the grocery store.  However, I admit that in full gear, and with sirens blazing, it's intimidating for some kids.

Those fears are directly addressed in When I Grow Up I Want to be a Firefighter.  Will, our main character, is terrified of fire and of firefighters.  He's afraid of them in their gear, and his field trip to the fire station has him worried sick.  Almost immediately, Will feels his fears soothed as Captain Kirby mentions that many kids are afraid of the same thing.  At the end of the book, Captain Kirby tells Will's class that in order to be a good firefighter, he feels like yes, he needs to be afraid of fire.

This is an easy book to read, but I loved the additions of charts showing the different components of a firefighter's gear, the different fire trucks, and best, a safety checklist and a guide to creating a fire plan in the home.  They create a balance of a story that's easy to read but that doesn't insult the intelligence of the child reading. 

My Rating:  Four and a half stars

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails