Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Trivia For Adults - Joe B. Hewitt

Summary: TRIVIA for ADULTS contains rules for playing trivia, 620 original questions and answers. Most answers are expanded to fully explain them. If you don't play the game, you can read the questions and answers and increase your general knowledge. Rules for playing the game are included. There is no board or tokens, just 20 questions for each game for team play. Many difficult questions have multiple choice answers so you can make a good guess. These questions are for adults. There are no questions that only a teenager would know. 

An example of the expanded answer: 611. To “tack close to the wind” is what kind of term, (A. Roofer. (B. Sky diving. (C. Sailing. 

Answer: 611. To “tack close to the wind” is a (C. Sailing term. A sail boat or sailing ship cannot sail directly into the wind, but can go at a 45 degree angle toward the wind in a zigzag. When the vessel changes directions it is called “tacking.” In order to go as near to against the wind as possible, the sailor will “tack close to the wind.” 

The author welcomes challenges and comments.  (Summary and Pic from goodreads.com)

I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

My Review: I am not one of those people who can spout trivia all the time, but I definitely know a lot of random things about a lot of things. There’s a difference, ya know? The trivia people win Trivial Pursuit and can remember facts well. They know dates. They know names and intricate details. People like me, well. I love learning, love listening to podcasts about stuff, but I don’t know if I’d win Trivial Pursuit. Maybe I’m splitting straws here. Maybe I’m making excuses? Who knows?

This book is formatted a little differently than I thought it would be. I’m not sure what I thought, but I was happily surprised when I got it. It’s like a party in a book. A party for nerds in a book. It’s structured in such a way that it should be used for a game, and in fact the introduction tells you how to play a game using the book. Although none of the physical game elements are included—it’s just a book—there are plenty of questions to keep you going for many games. The sections are divided into 20 questions, and then the 20 answers are given in the following pages. This makes it nice because you don’t have to hunt down answers—they’re basically right there. They’re numbered clearly, the pages are numbered clearly, and I’m thinking that if it were to be used for a game, it would be quite easy to keep track of where you left off and come right back to it.

Like any trivia game, there are not extensive answers to the questions. A lot of the questions are just answered simply in a few words. However, this doesn’t mean they’re answered with no explanation. In fact, many of the answers have a little bit of an explanation, a little nugget of information for the trivia people to savor.

This is obviously not a book you would read cover to cover in one sitting like you might an awesome novel, but it is definitely fun for a game or in a place where you want to just do some quick, fun reading with little commitment but high entertainment value.

My Rating: 4 stars

For the sensitive reader: This book is clean.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails