Thursday, November 12, 2015

Martha Stewart's Appetizers: 200 Recipes for Dips, Spreads, Snacks, Small Plates, and Other Delicious Hors d'Oeuvres, Plus 30 Cocktails - Martha Stewart

Summary: Snacks, Starters, Small Plates, Stylish Bites, and Sips

Hors d’oeuvres made modern: Today’s style of entertaining calls for fuss-free party foods that are easy to make and just as delicious as ever. With more than 200 recipes for tasty pre-dinner bites, substantial small plates, special-occasion finger foods, and quick snacks to enjoy with drinks,Martha Stewart’s Appetizers is the new go-to guide for any type of get-together.

(Summary and pic from goodreads.com)

I received a free copy of this book from bloggingforbooks.com in exchange for my honest review.

My Review: It’s no surprise to anyone that Martha Stewart knows what she’s doing. I mean, this is not her first rodeo. I firmly believe that Martha has been cooking since she was a wee lass and that she has only gotten better with age. And experience. I mean, really. Have you ever had something of Martha Stewart’s that was terrible? No. She’s pretty much the queen of all things domestic.

This book was pretty much like you’d expect. It was a beautiful hard cover book. I have reviewed quite a few cookbooks and although this one is not as trendy and flashy as some of the others I’ve had, I would say it is definitely classy. Timeless. It’s the kind of book that I may have seen in either the trendiest kitchens or maybe my grandma’s kitchen. And Grandma knew how to cook, peeps. I’m not saying it’s old school. The pictures are nice and descriptive. They’re not bright and vibrant and photo-shopped like a lot of really trendy cookbooks, but I like the timeless look of them. It shows the food, it looks super delicious, and it looks like it’s something I could pull off.

As far as the recipes go, there are lots of classics and then takes on classics. These are appetizers that, without a doubt, will always work. The ones I tried were really good, and the variations were fun and different. The recipes are tried and true favorites, but sometimes it’s fun to have something tried and true with a little twist. People recognize it, it’s nothing shocking, but it’s a fun little twist on what they expected.

I also really enjoyed the little explanations she had before each recipe. I felt like it added to the book without being overly wordy or preachy about a particular appetizer. It also had nice tips about doing things ahead of time and about actually entertaining, which was a nice addition to a book that looks to me like basically the bible of appetizers.

I am giving this book 4.5 stars because it’s beautiful, the food is delicious, and it’s definitely a classic. It loses half a star (so it doesn’t get five stars) because I felt like it was not seriously innovative. It was pretty safe. There were classics, there were twists on classics, and pretty much everything was covered. There was nothing really different or surprising in it. However, I would highly recommend it as a good addition to any cookbook collection. One can only try so many faddy things and then you yearn for something tried and true.

My Rating: 4.5 Stars

For the sensitive reader: This is yummy, good clean fun. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails