Thursday, December 10, 2015

Attachments - Rainbow Rowell

Summary: "Hi, I'm the guy who reads your e-mail, and also, I love you . . . "

Beth Fremont and Jennifer Scribner-Snyder know that somebody is monitoring their work e-mail. (Everybody in the newsroom knows. It's company policy.) But they can't quite bring themselves to take it seriously. They go on sending each other endless and endlessly hilarious e-mails, discussing every aspect of their personal lives.

Meanwhile, Lincoln O'Neill can't believe this is his job now- reading other people's e-mail. When he applied to be "internet security officer," he pictured himself building firewalls and crushing hackers- not writing up a report every time a sports reporter forwards a dirty joke.

When Lincoln comes across Beth's and Jennifer's messages, he knows he should turn them in. But he can't help being entertained-and captivated-by their stories.

By the time Lincoln realizes he's falling for Beth, it's way too late to introduce himself.

What would he say . . . ?
  (Summary and image from goodreads.com)

Review:  There are no secrets in the newsroom.  There are fewer secrets when your paranoid bosses employ someone to read any email they deem "inappropriate".  Sometimes, however, friends need to talk, and the risks outweigh the benefits.

Jen and Beth are best friends at work and otherwise.  Jen is trying to decide whether she is ready to be a mother -- her husband is all in.  Beth is desperately waiting for her musician boyfriend to propose, but doesn't know if he ever will. Lincoln is the poor guy, lost in his own right, who's tasked to read their emails and issue whatever warnings are needed  -- but there's a problem.  Lincoln finds himself starting to care about Jen and Beth.  He starts falling in love with Beth - but how do you meet someone you already know?  And how do you do that without scaring them off!?

This is the first book I've ever read by Rowell and I was so happy with it.  I giggled.  I sniffed.  I avoided all grown up responsibility to read, and even my daughter wanted to know the outcome (she's  seven).  I was half expecting dark-and-twisty, brilliant writing because of the hype I'd heard about Eleanor and Park, but that wasn't the case.  This was lighthearted.  This was fun.  It was fun to get back to pre-Y2K literature and the emerging use of emails in people's lives.  It reminded me of You've Got Mail in a way, but at the same time it was entirely original.  

Confession:  I read precisely nothing this summer.  I joke I'm suffering from Maternal Illiteracy - the inability to read a book without jumping up to fix food, fights, vacuum, do dishes, etc.  The struggle is real, people! I've hated not reading - I've felt the panic raising up as I haven't read (reading is my escape), and this was exactly the book I needed to remind me that yes, I CAN in fact read books!

Rating: 4.5 Stars

For the Sensitive Reader:  Overall, very clean.  Some F bombs, a few drunken scenes, but otherwise, clean!

1 comment:

Nidhi Mahajan said...

This book was a delight. Great review! Aaaah! Adult life and it's many woes.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails