Friday, September 9, 2016

Dorothy Must Die - Danielle Paige

Summary: I didn't ask for any of this. I didn't ask to be some kind of hero.

But when your whole life gets swept up by a tornado - taking you with it - you have no choice but to go along, you know?

Sure, I've read the books. I've seen the movies. I know the song about the rainbow and the happy little bluebirds. But I never expected Oz to look like this. To be a place where Good Witches can't be trusted, Wicked Witches may just be the good guys, and winged monkeys can be executed for acts of rebellion. There's still a yellow brick road - but even that's crumbling.

What happened? Dorothy.

They say she found a way to come back to Oz. They say she seized power and the power went to her head. And now no one is safe.

My name is Amy Gumm - and I'm the other girl from Kansas.

I've been recruited by the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked.

I've been trained to fight.

And I have a mission.

Summary and image from goodreads.com

Review:  Amy is a misfit.  She doesn’t fit in at school, which just suspended her for fighting with a pregnant girl (who totally threw the first punch).  She doesn’t fit in at home, where her mom cares more for her rat and her addictions than for Amy.  She can’t wait to get out of Kansas someday, but how, when her life is going nowhere?

Again, cue the tornado. 

Before she knows it, her trashy little trailer is being swept up in a twister and she lands in an unfamiliar land.  It’s weird here.  It’s definitely Oz … so why is it all … wrong?

Paige has taken a childhood favorite and turned it on its ear.  By addressing the power of the magic in Oz, what it may do to outsiders, and how Oz would inevitably fight back from its destruction, she has crafted a story that was very entertaining.  Paige’s main character has to address her own moral compass, what defines good and evil, and whether she is willing to join up with a cause that might destroy her for a land she’d never thought real.  

This was a very interesting take on the ‘Bad is Good’ theory that is cropping up more and more.  As a fan of the original series, I did appreciate the appearance of some of the more true-to-series characters, while marveling at the creative manner in which the Oldies-but-Goodies are portrayed.  While some of them were a stretch for my imagination, Paige’s alternative portrayal of Glinda was frighteningly believable.

This had more language than I thought necessary, but it didn’t stop me from running out and checking out the second book.

Rating: Three stars (language)

 For the Sensitive Reader: Language.  Torture.  Magical and medical experimentation.  Definitely for a more mature YA audience.  Also, Dorothy is totally evil.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails