Monday, September 5, 2016

Raising a Gifted Child - Carol Fertig

Summary: From the author of the nation's most popular blog on parenting gifted children, comes the definitive how-to handbook for parents, Raising a Gifted Child: A Parenting Success Handbook. Raising gifted children isn't easy, but when armed with the practical knowledge and tools in this exciting book, parents can navigate the maze of raising bright kids, leading to success in school and beyond.

This book offers a large menu of strategies, resources, organizations, tips, and suggestions for parents to find optimal learning opportunities for their kids, covering the gamut of talent areas, including academics, the arts, technology, creativity, music, and thinking skills. The focus of this definitive resource is on empowering parents by giving them the tools needed to ensure that their gifted kids are happy and successful both in and out of school.

Additional topics covered include volunteering at your child's school; different school options and specialty programs; tips for handling special circumstances; specific suggestions for each core content areas; and strategies for finding the best resources for parents on the Web. This easy-to-read book is sure to be a favorite of parents of smart kids for years to come! (Summary and image from goodreads.com)

Review:  Kids are challenging.  Being a mother is amazing, rewarding, breathtakingly beautiful, but it’s hard.  I only have three children and raising them is the hardest thing I’ve ever done, mainly because they’re so incredible I fear any misstep on my part will doom them for life.

Add to that the added challenge of children who are gifted (defined here by an IQ test measured and administered by the school district), and you’ve got yourself a whole new ballgame.  There are emotional considerations that come with gifted children - a higher likelihood for anxiety and depression, boredom, acting out, emotional immaturity that contradicts their intellectual maturity - it’s hard!  And it’s hard to know where to turn for help. 

For years, I’m not going to lie, I’ve felt like I was failing my kids.  I was a good advocate for my children’s needs, but at home?  I felt like a big, fat fraud. Simple job requests became three hour hostage-negotiation-type discussions. Science experiments were everywhere. I had three absent-minded professors that had staged a coup at home and were clearly winning. One day a friend asked my why I couldn’t just tell my kids to do something and have them obey (ha!), and I realized I needed to do more research into these kids’ minds than I’d done.  I spoke with their leaders at school, district leaders, former GT group leaders, and was recommended to this book as part of a book study. 

WOW.

I don’t like self-help books (it’s right there in my bio), but this book has become my new parenting bible.  The research that Ms. Fertig has done is astounding. It’s provided me with new insights into why my children respond as they do, how to better communicate with them, and has literally provided numerous websites and activities to engage them in every possible subject.  Frank and direct discussions about progress in school, the danger of underachievers, children who prefer order to chaos and vice versa, every chapter provided a group of us with stimulating conversation, and more importantly, the feeling that we’re not alone in raising these children.

This was an amazing resource to not only correct common misconceptions about gifted children, but to provide the tools to any parent looking to better advocate, engage, or cope with their children.  I’ve still got more research to do, but this was the perfect jumping off point into this journey.  My only regret is that I didn’t find it five years ago.

Rating:  Five stars


Side note: This book ranges in children’s ages from very young through high school  Some of the websites mentioned are either outdated, no longer function, or are more geared toward high school aged kids.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails