Monday, October 10, 2016

A Time to Speak - Nadine Brandes

Summary: What happens when you live longer than you wanted to?

Parvin Blackwater wanted to die, but now she’s being called to be a leader. The only problem is, no one wants to follow. 

The Council is using Jude’s Clock-matching invention to force “new-and-improved” Clocks on the public. Those who can’t afford one are packed into boxcars like cattle and used for the Council’s purposes. Parvin and Solomon team up to rescue the people. Instead, they find themselves on a cargo ship of Radicals headed out to sea. What will the Council do to them? And why are people suddenly dying before their Clocks have zeroed-out? (Summary and image from goodreads.com.  I was provided a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.)

Review: The last time we saw Parvin, she was reeling from her return to the “safe side” of the Wall and the betrayal she suffered at the end of A Time to Die.  She is still struggling with knowing that God wants her to do something, but deciding what that something is and whether she can actually complete her calling is proving more difficult.

I love the organic development of this book.  It had been a while since I’ve read A Time to Die, but Brandes’ voice was so clear that the story came back vividly as I read, which frankly amazed me. (There are a lot of stories rattling around up in my noggin, not to mention bits and pieces of ones.) Brandes' writing has clearly matured through this series, giving her more power as a writer and a grander scale for her stories.Moving forward in the story, I truly can’t imagine how else Parvin’s life and actions could unfold differently.  Her dedication as a character to her cause and her faith, her growth in helping those Radicals cast out of the wall after her return, and her strength in her relationships were wonderful to see.

I love the books that I pick up for a quick, easy read and they make me examine my own life, my own convictions, and the areas I could improve.  This book, while still an easy, summery read, accomplished that as well.  I can’t wait for the final installment.


Rating: Four and a half stars

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails