Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Scorched Souls: A Chosen Novel - Jeff Altabef and Erynn Altabef

Summary: Fate and destiny clash in the explosive, heart-pounding conclusion to the award-winning Chosen series.

~~~~~

Survival is not enough.
Alliances will be formed.
Loyalties tested.
A choice made.


Juliet Wildfire Stone is not just a Chosen, she's the Alpha. The fate of Earth may well rest in her hands, but when she meets the Prime Elector at last, the mortal enemy at the center of her new destiny, he proves not to be what she expected.

Plunged into a conflict between two ancient foes, one that threatens to rip Earth apart, Juliet must navigate her new path, form unlikely alliances, and solve ancient mysteries. She needs to set aside her fears, make the tough choices set before her, and become the Alpha Chosen once and for all.

The cost to Juliet does not matter; too much depends on her. She cannot allow Earth to be cast into a darkness from which it might never escape.

Yet she cannot do it alone. Will the other Chosen follow her? Or will the people of Earth be enslaved for all time? (Summary and pic from goodreads.com)

I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

My Review: I’m always a little apprehensive about the final book in a trilogy. I’ve read—as most of us have, I’m sure—many YA fic trilogies. Sometimes the final book is super satisfying, and sometimes it’s just super lame and you just want to pretend that it never happened and possibly even wish that you’d just finished reading the story about a book ago. That’s the worst.

I had high hopes for this book because I had enjoyed the other books. It didn’t disappoint. There was a lot to address and the story line definitely had a lot to cover in order to tie up the loose ends, and I think the Altabefs did this well. There were several story lines that were going on at the end of book two, and I was anxious to have those tied up. There’s nothing worse than a storyline that isn’t addressed at all, or isn’t resolved in some way. I don’t think that things have to always be resolved exactly the way I want them to be—and indeed I like it when the author surprises me—but its lame when the resolution doesn’t match what was going on.

There were a couple things I really enjoyed about this final installment of the series. First, I liked that some of the characters had more depth than was originally described. Sometimes villains can be very one dimensional, but that wasn’t the case with several villains in this novel, and I liked that. People are not one dimensional in real life, so when they are in books it doesn’t seem authentic.  The authors did a good job of humanizing the aliens, and that made for a nice conflict between the heroes and the villains because all of a sudden things weren’t black and white. That was a nice twist.

Another thing I liked about this book was the ending. I don’t want to give too much away because I think it was very satisfying. Suffice it to say, I was appreciative of how the book ended. I think it tied up things nicely, and wasn’t afraid to have the story line go in a place that wasn’t necessarily expected or even if it was expected, it was a brave way to go. I liked that. I appreciate when stories take a turn that they have to take and the authors are in tune enough to follow it.

Overall, I would say that if you are into dystopian fiction, this is totally a series you should check out. I think it fits in nicely with the genre, and is actually more well-written than others I have read from the genre. It’s a nice twist on a-hero-saves-the-world story that has been written about extensively the past few years. It’s fast-paced and exciting, and is definitely a nice addition to the YA fic genre.

My Rating: 4 stars

For the sensitive reader: There is some language, but I would say it is on the milder side for books in this genre. You certainly would hear worst in the halls of high school. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails