Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Moon Called - Patricia Briggs


Summary:  Mercedes "Mercy" Thompson is a talented Volkswagen mechanic living in the Tri-Cities area of Washington. She also happens to be a walker, a magical being with the power to shift into a coyote at will. Mercy's next-door neighbor is a werewolf. Her former boss is a gremlin. And she's fixing a bus for a vampire. This is the world of Mercy Thompson, one that looks a lot like ours but is populated by those things that go bump in the night. And Mercy's connection to those things is about to get her into some serious hot water... (Summary from Goodreads.com)

My Review:  Let's just address the elephant in the room.  That cover!  Quite frankly, I wouldn't be caught dead reading this book in public (or in front of my girls), but it came highly recommended from a new friend of mine and so I thought I'd give it a whirl.  On my ipad.  Which has a solid purple cover.  Sadly, as awesome as she is, I'm not sure this new friend and I are kindred spirits when it comes to our reading tastes. Basically the story boils down to this: Mercy is a mechanic with an attitude.  She's also a shapeshifter/were-coyote/something-else-mysterious.  She lives next to an Alpha werewolf who ends up nearly dead after his human daughter is kidnapped by mysterious assailants. Hi-jinks ensue.  Mercy gets in the middle of it all.  Along the way there are a thousand other characters and a remarkably unromantic love triangle between Mercy, Mr. Alpha, and Mr. Werewolf Ex From Her Past, before things are resolved.

Ordinarily, I like a good paranormal romance I adore stories with a strong female lead. In Moon Called, paranormal abounds and Mercy is as strong as they come, but I just couldn't stomach the rest of it. Everything was convoluted and sooooo.  darn.  tedious.   Something happens.  Have a long conversation about it.  Go talk to new character (werewolf/vampire/witch/gremlin/undercover cop) about it.  Get into and out of trouble.  Leave with tiny clue.  Add to that a bunch of pack rules and extraneous details that get in the way and it was just too hard to keep it all straight and way too hard to care.  I finished, but with very little desire to read further in the series.  A peek at the next one's cover nailed that coffin firmly shut.  Can you say, 'Hello, boobs!'?  Sheesh, Mercy needs to button up her coveralls.

For the sensitive reader: No sex, but a lot of aggressive male posturing. Some swearing, but none of the 'majors' as far as I can recall.

My Rating: 2 Stars

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails