Wednesday, November 22, 2017

We Should Hang Out Sometime: Embarrassingly, A True Story - Josh Sundquist

SummaryWhen I was twenty-five years old, it came to my attention that I had never had a girlfriend.  At the time, I was actually under the impression that I was in a relationship, so this bit of news came as something of a shock.  

Why was Josh still single?  To find out, he tracked down each of the girls he had tried to date since middle school and asked them straight up:  What went wrong?

The results of Josh's semi-scientific investigation are in your hands.  From a disastrous Putt-Putt date involving a backward prosthetic foot, to his introduction to CFD (Close Fast Dancing), to a misguided "grand gesture" at a Miss America pageant, this story is about looking for love - or at least a girlfriend - in all the wrong places.  Poignant, relatable, and totally hilarious,this memoir is for anyone who has ever wondered, "Is there something wrong with me?"  (Spoiler alert: The answer is no.) 

(Summary from book flap - Image from Goodreads)

My Review: Josh Sundquist is an author (obviously), but he's also Paralympian, motivational speaker, and comedian.  Oh, and he's an amputee with a penchant for amazing Halloween costumes...but that's another post for another blog.  I stumbled into his world while watching random videos on YouTube with my daughter.  The clip that caught our attention was Sheltered Homeschooler Reads Harry Potter #1 and we thought it was so funny that we quickly snickered our way through the rest of them.  As soon as I realized he had published a memoir, I knew I had to read it.   

In We Should Hang Out Sometime, Josh rehashes his past relationships (and not-so-relationships) in all their gloriously gory detail in an attempt to discern what exactly went wrong and why he is still single.  Josh even goes so far as to track down past girlfriends or crushes to ask why things didn't work out.   His knack for presenting horrifyingly awkward situations in a hysterical light won us over in a heartbeat.  I kept stopping to read portions of the book aloud to my daughter and we were practically hyperventilating with laughter. Whether Josh is roundhouse kicking his prosthetic leg back into place (and horrifying nearby golfers), divulging the embarrassing way he learned about the existence of Caller ID, or dissecting failed first kisses, his candor, graphing/diagramming abilities, and self-deprecating wit will keep you rolling.


However, if snort-inducing humor isn't enough for you, rest assured, this memoir is also laced with moments of heartbreak, sweetness, and better-than-average insight.  Sometimes reading a book can feel like work, but in this case, it was a delight. I highly recommend it if you're looking for an easy, entertaining read. 

Pssst.  If' you'd like to get a taste of what this guy is all about, check out his full YouTube Channel, here.  I haven't watched all the videos but those I've seen have been great.

For the sensitive reader: I was completely ready to hand this book over to my 14-year-old until the chapters where Josh went to college.  Thinks got a little more mature then, but not graphically so.  I think I'd probably still hand it over, but maybe have a little preparatory conversation about it.

My Rating: 4 Stars



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails