Sunday, November 30, 2008

Midnight Pearls (Once Upon a Time Series)

by Debbie Viguie

Summary: In a quiet fishing village seventeen years ago, one lone fisherman rescued a child from the sea. He and his wife raised the girl, Pearl, as their own daughter never allowing themselves to wonder long about where she came from--or notice her silver hair, unusually pale skin, and wide, dark blue eyes. Pearl grows from mysterious child into an unusual young woman, not always welcomed in the village. As all the other girls her age find husbands, she has only one friend to ease her loneliness. One very special, secret companion: Prince James. But their friendship is shaken when trouble erupts in the kingdom--a conspiracy agains the royal family combines with an evil enchantment from beneath the sea. Now just when Pearl and James need eachother the most, bewitching magic and hints about Pearl's past thereaten to tear them apart...forever.

My review: In all fairness I read half of this book before my family came up for Thanskgiving and the other half after they left a little under a week later. The gap kind of left me with a disjointed experience of the book. I enjoyed it, but don't feel super qualified in reviewing it. I'm still going to though. I just don't remember a great deal about the first half of the book. I've got to say that the title of this book throws me off entirely. Perhaps I just have a dirty mind, but to me it sounds, well, sexual...like the title belongs to something in the romance section and that the cover should be red or hot pink. It doesn't. I checked. I supposed if you really try hard enough you could do that to about any book title though. Moving on.
Pearl has been struggling her whole life to fit in, or rather, to not stick out quite so much. With her long legs, silvery hair, and complete lack of grace, she's different from those around her in ways that she cannot explain. Were it not for her closely guarded friendship with the prince and two loving parents, she would be entirely alone in the world. Unexpectedly, "Midnight Pearls" is the story of not one mermaid, but several. Debbie Viguie takes the story of the little mermaid and expands it to involve quite a few more merkin, an imprisoned Seawitch, an evil plot to assassinate the king, and more than one devastatingly attractive prince (yippee!). The plot twists and turns as the characters struggle to serve their own agendas and, of course, find their true loves. The end came much to quickly for me--the big fight really wasn't all that big and was resolved in the matter of a page. I did enjoy the additional characters and the expanded plot but feel that many of these books would be served by a little more character/plot development and about 30-50 more pages.

My rating: 3 stars. Get it at the library. PG

If I could sum this book up in one phrase it would be: A nice beach read.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails