Sunday, November 2, 2008

*My (sort-of) rating system.*

I read a lot of "Young Adult" novels and one of my biggest pet peeves is a children's book or a young adult book that is, in reality, too adult in content for its target audience. I am all for freedom of speech, but I don't like misrepresentation. For this purpose I have decided to, along with my star ratings, include an actual rating or description of content if I feel it is needed. Basically, if there is gratuitous sex or an entire page dedicated to the "F" word (can you say "Death of Artemio Cruz?), I'm going to mention it. My ratings are simply a guide. If I feel a book has been miscategorized, I will tell you. Ultimately, it is up to you, the parent, to make sure that what your child is reading is of a suitable nature. If I get one comment about how you let your 9 year old daughter read "Breaking Dawn" and are upset because they were (spoiler here) having sex every ten seconds, I will start smacking heads.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails