Monday, December 15, 2008

Tell No One - Harlen Coben

also reviewed by Heather and Emily

Summary:David Beck has rebuilt his life since his wife's murder eight years ago, finishing medical school and establishing himself as a pediatrician, but he's never forgotten the woman he fell in love with in second grade. And when a mysterious e-mail arrives on the anniversary of their first kiss, with a message and an image that leads him to wonder whether Elizabeth might still be alive, Beck will stop at nothing to find the truth that's eluded him for so many years. A powerful billionaire is equally determined to make sure his role in her disappearance never comes to light, even if it means destroying an innocent man.

My Review: Elizabeth and David made annual pilgrimages on the anniversary of their first kiss to his family’s property site at Lake Charmaine. They had been married seven months when it happened. Elizabeth was abducted, and later found to be the victim of a serial killer. David had been knocked unconscious and had fallen in the lake only to awaken in a hospital.
The story opens eight years later when David, now a pediatrician, receives a bizarre email. The message is clearly from someone who knows intimate details of his life with Elizabeth. A subsequent email shows Elizabeth on a busy street mouthing to him the words that she is sorry.

Other instructions plus the admonition to “tell no one” arrive through an email account that can only be traced to an alias.

Tell No One is slowly and artfully constructed and the tension is sustained throughout. The author manages to work in current social issues in a noninvasive way and the story is stronger for it. The well developed characters’ dialogue is consistent and intriguing.
While the ending is predictable, the way you arrive there is definitely not.

Personal Note: Although I found this interesting and a slight left turn from his regular work, he does have me wondering if he will fall into the predictability rut that so many Mystery writer have.

My Rating: 3.5

If I could sum this book up in one phrase it would be: A roller coaster that is not quite as intense as it looks.

2 comments:

CurtisandMindy said...

I don't read a lot of these kind of books but I really loved this one. LOVED it! I read it in one sitting and my eyes were completely GLUED to it. However, in my opinion, none of his other ones are as good.

Sweet Em said...

Funny you should review this book right now. It is next on my "to read" list, which, frankly - could be months from now. However it did travel with me across the country in hopes I would get to it on the plane (what was I thinking?) The funny part is, my brother-in-law, famous for NOT being a reader was 100 pages into it when we arrived at my parents house. That day he read 200 pages, a definite first for him, and finished it in 3 days. Sadly, my family (of rabid speed readers) made incredible fun of him so that may never happen again.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails