Monday, April 20, 2009

*Original Thought*

It has recently come to my attention that there is a profound amount of plagiarizing going on in the blogosphere. A few blogs I follow closely have been hit by it recently, and until then I never even knew it existed. In order to keep our blog free from any wrongdoing I wanted to post the following rules:

1) Tell where you get your summary from. Is it from the back of the book, as per usual? Amazon? Wherever. I don't expect the summaries to be original works but they need to be credited from here on out with a small (Summary from Amazon.com) at the bottom of the summary or the bottom of the post.

2) Obviously all reviews are to be original works. I find it is best to avoid reading ANY reviews of a book prior to reviewing it so that particular phrases don't "accidentally" stick in your head.

3) Any quotes from the book need to be in quotations. Duh.

4) I'm not sure about pictures yet. I don't know what copyrights exist in terms of pictures on the internet. I don't know if it's okay to copy the picture of a book from an website and paste it into ours. We always link the pictures to Amazon, so perhaps we should continue to get them there even though they are profoundly less attractive. Or we could put a (picture from blahblahblah) at the bottom of the post with the summary credit. What do you think?

Let me know how you feel about these rules and if you can think of anymore. I want to make sure that we remain honest and original.

5 comments:

Heather said...

Got it. Makes sense to me, all the rules we have heard since junior high. I think that if we link to Amazon AND use a picture connected to that link we fine.

Heather said...

I must also say that I agree that we can not phrase things the same way as another has. However, I was under the impression that if you read something and agreed with it, it is not plagiarizing to put that idea into your own words in your writing. Am I correct here?

P.S. Weren't you supposed to be planting a garden about the time this was posted?

MindySue said...

I think we should probably say...i heard this and whole heartedly agree with it...like I said in the Girl Who Could Fly about Stephenie Meyer. or something like that. I don't know. I think the whole point is just to try to be ethical and original. As long as we have that in mind we should be fine.

Kim said...

I think we do need to be very careful about this. After you posted I got to thinking about how I do my review. I am sure I am guilty of using the same phrase or at least something very similar. I am going to take your advice and not read ANY reviews until I have completed mine, I think I have a good enough memory that after I read a review the "high points" are sticking in my brain without me realizing. I don't want to go to jail! Thanks for the research and reminder, I can abide well.:)

Sweet Em said...

I finished citing my reviews. I made myself finish out of an irrational fear I'd go into labor and never get to it. Cyber-nesting I guess.

As an aside. I personally try to only use the part of the amazon review that tells the story and cut out the "review" part. People want to read what I have to say - right?!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails