Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Kari's Educational Book Suggestions

Once again the fabulous Kari C. graces our blog with her awesome book suggestions. As soon as she accepts my invite (literally) she will be our newest contributor. ;) Here she is:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I wanted to write down and share with you the Children's books I use to aid my teaching. Sometimes a Children's book is the quickest and clearest way to explain a concept to my kiddos.
Figures of Speech are very difficult for 2nd language learners to understand. I tend to use them a lot in my everyday speech as well as when I’m trying to explain something. Because of that I’ve used these books to give visuals and explanations.

-The King Who Rained

When trying to explain Adjectives I use:

-Many Luscious Lollipops

-Hairy, Scary, Ordinary: What Is An Adjective?

When trying to explain Verbs I use:

-To Root, To Toot, To Parachute: What Is A Verb?

When trying to explain a Noun I use:

-A Mink, A Fink, A Skating Rink: What Is A Noun?

When trying to explain Cause and Effect I use:

-The Day Jimmy’s Boa Ate The Wash

-Thomas’ Snowsuit

When trying to explain Point Of View (Perspective or delving into Character Study) I use:

-The True Story of the Three Little Pigs

-Once Upon A Fairy Tale (StarBright Foundation version)

-The Emperor’s New Clothes (StarBright Foundation version)

***(If you haven't seen the StarBright Foundation books, they are really fun! The stories are familiar, but it's done differently than typical books. They come with a CD you can listen to with the characters being read by famous actors and actresses and the artwork is done by famous artists. It's really cool. Oh, and the proceeds go to helping sick children. Also very cool.)***

When trying to explain Apostrophes I use:

-The Girl’s Like Spaghetti

I also bring in fun books for the kids to enjoy; simply books that catch attention, but maybe aren’t the most literary. Some I’ve used before are:

-Vanishing Act

-Ripley’s Believe It Or Not

-Guinness Book Of World Records

-Form and Pheromone

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails