Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Tell No One - Harlen Coben

Summary: For Dr. David Beck, the loss was shattering. And every day for the past eight years, he has relived the horror of what happened. The gleaming lake. The pale moonlight. The piercing screams. The night his wife was taken. The last night he saw her alive.

Everyone tells him it's time to move on, to forget the past once and for all. But for David Beck, there can be no closure. A message has appeared on his computer, a phrase only he and his dead wife know. Suddenly Beck is taunted with the impossible - that somewhere, somehow, his wife is alive...and he's been warned to tell no one.
(Cover photo from harlencoben.com and summary from back of book)

My Review: I will keep this short and sweet since this novel has already been reviewed twice on the blog. If you want more read Emily's Review or Kim's Review.

I only pick up mystery novels a few times a year but when I do it will likely be a Harlen Coben title you'll find in my hands. I feel that he has a way of making his characters come alive so much better than other mystery writers. He gives them personality. He also adds a bit more substance to his books than the average mystery by briefly mixing in a few political issues (in this case the medicaid system and social class). Coben can provide a suspenseful story line with plenty of twists, while going light on the bang-bang shoot-em-up scenes that I despise. This is exactly what you can expect to find within the covers of Tell No One.

I would say that it was an average novel from an above average writer. It had about the perfect amount of suspense and action. It had me really caring for the Dr. Beck and his family, and even some scummy characters I never expected to like. The twists weren't as exciting as I have seen in other novels, but they were still fun. The ending could have been a bit more dramatic, yet it was still quite satisfying. Overall, not my favorite Coben book, yet a good read. If you have already enjoyed this novel or are looking to try Harlen Coben's writing for the first time, let me recommend his Myron Bolitar novels, such as Deal Breaker and Promise Me. I also have to say that I found No Second Chance a bit more entertaining than this one.

*Apparently a movie based on this novel was released at the end of March.

My Rating: 3 Stars

If I had to sum it up in one sentence it would be: An enjoyable novel from a skilled mystery writer.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails