Monday, April 5, 2010

The Titan's Curse - Rick Riordan

Also reviewed by Mindy.

Summary: When Percy Jackson gets an urgent distress call from his friend Grover, he immediately prepares for battle. He knows he will need his powerful demigod allies, Annabeth and Thalia, at his side, his trusty bronze sword Riptide, and...a ride from his mom.

The demigods rush to the rescue to find that Grover has made an important discovery: two powerful half-bloods whose parentage is unknown. But that's not all that awaits them. The titan lord Kronos has devised his most treacherous plot yet, and the young heroes have just fallen prey.

They're not the only ones in danger. An ancient monster has arisen — one rumored to be so powerful it could destroy Olympus — and Artemis, the only goddess who might know how to track it, is missing. Now Percy and his friends, along with the Hunters of Artemis, have only a week to find the kidnapped goddess and solve the mystery of the monster she was hunting.

Along the way, they must face their most dangerous challenge yet: the chilling prophecy of the titan's curse. (Summary from Powells.com and image from runjeanrun.wordpress.com)


My Review: This was a refreshing read. The characters are growing up, twists and turns abound, more Greek mythology is explored, and it's at the right reading level to capture the attention of adolescent readers. As a middle school teacher, I LOVE it!

I thoroughly love Riordan's humor. Maybe it's because I'm a middle school teacher and that says more about me than it does about the books, but he's seriously funny. My favorite part in this book was the Dam problems. He really ran with that one--the dam snack bar, the dam elevator, the dam parking lot. He manages to mix action/adventure with humor and history--a perfect combination to make a great story.

The second in this series left me needing a break, but this one had me craving more. I can't wait to get my hands on the next book in the series. My students say the last book is the best; I can't express just how happy I am to have a series that keeps me wanting more!

Rating: 4.25 Stars

Sum it up: The middle of what is looking to be a great climax of a story!

2 comments:

Sheila Deeth said...

I have a feeling I should give this series a go. Thanks for the review.

Tribute Books said...

great review,thanks! might try.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails