Friday, May 7, 2010

Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon - Patty Lovell

Summary: Molly Lou Melon is short and clumsy, has buckteeth, and has a voice that sounds like a bullfrog being squeezed by a boa constrictor. She doesn't mind. Her grandma has always told her to walk proud, smile big, and sing loud, and she takes that to heart. But then Molly Lou has to start in a new school. Ronald Durkin calls her "SHRIMPO!" and "BUCKY-TOOTH BEAVER!" But Molly Lou has learned a lot from her grandma and knows just how to put him in his place--in a very satisfying way. (Summary from publisher - Image from kobou.c0m)

My Review: Molly Lou Melon is adorable. She's is everything that the summary entails and - because her grandmother is such a wise woman - proud of it. When the vertically-challenged Molly Lou moves to a new school and starts getting picked on, she holds her head high, stays true to herself, and doesn't give up. I absolutely love this book! From the exaggerated illustrations of the wonderful David Catrow to it's sweet and powerful moral message, Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon is a book that I will read to my children until the cover falls off...and then I'll go buy another one.

My Rating: 5 Stars

Sum it up: A wonderful example of how be proud of who you are and to love what makes you unique.

3 comments:

dollycas aka Lori said...

There's an award for you on my blog, sorry my internet went down yesterday before I could notify you. You really deserve this award!!
http://dollycas.blogspot.com/

Sweet Em said...

You know I love this book. Tessa, a budding song writer, has been walking around the house for months singing "be your whole self, be your whole self" and I finally just realized that this concept (though not the exact words) came from this book.

MindySue said...

Yes I do. You are the person who introduced me to this book and I am so glad you did. I am always on the lookout for books that address self-esteem in children.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails