Friday, February 22, 2013

Twice Upon a Time: Sleeping Beauty, The One Who Took the Really Long Nap - Wendy Mass

Sleeping Beauty, The One Who Took the Really Long Nap (Twice Upon a Time, #2)Summary: The girl's been asleep for a hundred years.  The boy's got issues of his own.  There are two sides to every story....

It's not easy being Princess Rose.  Especially when a fairy curses you and you find yourself avoiding all sharp objects...and then end up pricking your finger anyway, causing you to slumber for a hundred years.

And it's not easy being The Prince.  Especially when your mother has some ogre blood and tends to chow down at the most unfortunate moments.  A walk in the woods would help, you think.  Until you find a certain hidden castle...and a certain sleeping princess.  Happily ever after?  Not until the prince helps the princess awaken...and brings her home to Mother.

Journey back to the days when fairy tales were true with this fun and fresh spin on a timeless tale.  (Summary from book - Image from goodreads)

__________________________________


My Review:  I've been sitting here for the past five minutes with my fingers poised over my laptop keys, trying to think of something to say about this book. I am really tired.  If I start misspelling things or manage to use commas correctly for the first time in my life, please forgive me.

 Like the first book in the Twice Upon a Time series, Sleeping Beauty, The One Who Took the Really Long Nap is an adorable retelling of a classic fairy tale told from the perspective of a damsel in distress -- in this case a beautiful princess -- and her handsome prince.  

Their tale starts out kind of like The Time Traveler's Wife, with two stories being told in tandem, but 100 years apart.   At first, it was a difficult concept for my daughters to wrap their little brains around, but once Princess Rose pricked her finger on a spindle and woke up 100 years later, the two stories intertwined and they were able to sit back and enjoy the story.

As an adult, I didn't get much out of this book besides an odd chuckle here and there, but my girls loved it and giggled hysterically at even the slightest hint of romance or silliness.  I did love that the chapters were fairly short, so it was easy to read "just one more" chapter and still get them to bed on time.  However, I did not like the ending.  In fact, I might even go so far as to say I loathed it.  Up until the end of the book, the Prince was nameless, when he chooses a name that would make feminists spontaneously combust if the gender roles were reversed.

The next book, Beauty and the Beast, The Only One Who Didn't Run Away, came out in 2012 and is still only out in hardback.  If I were really invested in the series I would buy it right now, but as it stands I think I'll wait till it comes out in paperback and only read it if my kid's express an interest..

Kaisa, age nine, says:  I thought it was a good book.  I liked it better than the Rapunzel one.  I thought it was more better.  My favorite part was when she cuts her hair and smears mud all over her face.  I didn't like the ogre part.

Sophie, age seven, says:  I thought that it was funny when she says, "Who is he and does he have a brother?"  Also, I liked it (it was Kaisa's favorite part too) when she smeared mud all over her face and cut her hair.  It was funny.  It was a good book and funny and it was scary when the mean fairy said she was going to cast a spell on Rose.

My Rating:  3 Stars

For the sensitive reader:  A very little very light romance.

Sum it up:  Meh.  My girls really liked it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails