Thursday, August 1, 2013

The Doctor - a SciFi icon or Book Champion?

I had a discussion a few months ago that shook me to my core.  The gist was that our grandchildren won't know what books are ... that they're as archaic as camera film.  It surprised me, shocked me, sickened me a bit, and saddened me.  (And I could go on, but I think I ran out of "s" emotions!)  Not surprisingly, this article cheered me quite a bit.

You see, if I'm not reading and seeking entertainment, I'm a total nerd.  Really, it's astounding.  My husband loves that his seemingly normal wife would faint upon meeting Sir Patrick Stewart, and while he doesn't share all of my sci-fi viewing pleasures, some he'll suffer through.  Some, like Doctor Who, he actually enjoys!   So, when Book Riot published the article "Seven Reasons Why Doctor Who is a Literary Hero", I knew I had to indulge.

Dubious?  Here's one of my favorite quotes from Doctor Who:

“You want weapons? We’re in a library. Books are the best weapon in the world. 
This room’s the greatest arsenal we could have. Arm yourself!”

Want to check out the rest of the article?  Really, you know you do ...

Find it here.  And please, tell me.  Who is your unexpected literary hero?   

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails