Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The Santa Claus Book - Alden Perkes

Summary:  The Santa Claus Book is a delightful, full-color, intimate history of Santa and his elves, describing their day-to-day adventures as they prepare for and fulfill St. Nick's annual rounds. (Book image from amazon.com, summary from goodreads.com)

My Review:  It's not Christmas until my kids and I have put up the tree, listened to the Nutcracker, and read The Santa Claus Book! 

I grew up with this book, stole it from underneath the nose of my mom when I got married, and it is one of my most treasured Christmas traditions.  Alden Perkes, the author, has a Ph.D. in Santology.  Even better, Santa has granted him the chance to interview and shadow him, the elves, Mrs. Claus, and even the reindeer!

Perkes includes everything you've ever wondered about Santa.  He details why Santa ended up working with the elves, and why they settled at the North Pole.  Santa's favorite cookie recipe is even included!

This book is such a part of my childhood and the magic of Christmas that I can't help but tear up when I see my kids enjoy it.  It's funny, inclusive, sweet, and even a little scary in a part or two.  It may be difficult to find, but it's one you won't regret checking out!

My Rating: Five stars

For the Sensitive Reader:  There is an altercation with a dragon that scared me as a child.  Also, the story of Mrs. Claus is quite sad.  But it has a great ending!

1 comment:

Tiffany Bowcut said...

What a wonderful tradition!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails